FROM THE HISTORY OF CROATIAN CINEMA
Cinematographic School in Zagreb (1947-1951) — Remembering Film Education in Zagreb
This is a memoir by a distinguished film worker who attended the Cinematographic School in Zagreb after the World War Two. After the war, Yugoslavia was left without its film studios and with only a handful of film experts. Right after the war, in order to trigger film production and organize cinematography, Committees for Cinematography were founded in all Yugoslavian countries regardless of whether they were experienced in film production or not. Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia had some film equipment. During the World War Two, ”Hrvatski slikopis” was located in the building of Zagreb Cinema in Zagreb and it had equipment for filming and film processing. The number of film staff was minimal as in other new film centers. Federal government reached a decision to found three Cinematographic Schools, in Ljubljana, Zagreb and Belgrade. Before the Cinematographic School in Zagreb was founded, there was a film-photo department at the State Craft School (1945-46). Cinematographic School opened up in 1947 and in 1951 it was already closed down because of a large number of film technicians who had no jobs. The generation that was enrolled in 1952/53 was dismissed at half-term and they enrolled at other secondary schools. Together with less known historical information, the text gives personal memories and a list of subjects, teachers and students based on personal memories and preserved documents.